Friday, October 28, 2005

It's all coming together now

This post is rated ratedr

First off I should preface that this post is indeed rated R. I don't do much in the way of off-color posting, but this was something that has kind of coalesced into something worth posting. What I mean by "Rated R" is that the links contained herein take you to some MP3s that are a bit, ah, racy/raunchy/dirty/your favorite synonym for cussing here. If you think you would be embarrassed or offended or get into trouble by listening to any of the songs mentioned below, please move on to another post, 'kay?

The other day I found a link to some guy named Jonathan Coulton who has done a folky sort of version of Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back". Those unfamiliar with Mr. (he's not really a knight, you know) Mix-A-Lot's rendition, the Wikipedia entry should get you up to speed.

While enjoying the dulcet tones of the aforementioned Jonathan Coulton song, I found this: the Latin Lyrics to "Baby Got Back". That's not Latin as in Latino, but Latin as in veni, vidi, vici.

And both of these reminded me of the unusual take on the whole "Baby Got.." cover phenomenon. Namely, a (literally) righteous cover called "Baby Got Book" that sports lyrics like

I like big Bibles I can not lie,
You Christian brothers can’t deny,
When a girl walks in with a KJV*
And a bookmark in proverbs, You get stoked.

It got a name in place,
you know this girl has been saved
It looks like one of those large ones,
With plenty of space in the margins,
Oh baby, I want to read it with you,
Because your Bible has got pictures,
My minister tried to consult me,
But the book you’ve got makes me so Holy.

*KJV = King James Version of the bible


Getting away from that particular song, I also found a couple of other interesting things, such as this Joni Mitchellesque cover of NWA's "Straight Outta Compton". You can download it for free on her site.

Last but not least, and included here because I have no idea where else to post it is the lyrics to the Theme From Shaft if they were written in Middle English by Geoffrey Chaucer. Got that?

Technorati tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: