Sunday, January 07, 2007

I can see your house from here



Young Ellie: Dad, do you think there's people on other planets?
Ted Arroway: I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space.
"Contact" (1997)


The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times over many years and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers.

The introduction begins like this:

"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindboggingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen ..." and so on.
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


Get some perspective... take a look at this map of the universe within one billion light years of our location.

Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: