Sunday, August 08, 2010

Graphite graphica

Dalton Ghetti uses pencils in his artwork, but not in the way you might expect. Dalton, who works as a carpenter, has been making his tiny graphite works for about 25 years.

Click for the full gallery. (via The Fire Wire)




"At school I would carve a friend's name into the wood of a pencil and then give it to them as a present. Later, when I got into sculpture, I would make these huge pieces from things like wood, but decided I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make things as small as possible. I experimented sculpting with different materials, such as chalk, but one day I had an eureka moment and decided to carve into the graphite of a pencil"
.








Incredibly, these images are not black and white photos, but pencil portraits drawn by artist Paul Lung. More...

No comments: