Thursday, November 10, 2005

Toys of Yesteryear

Actually, if yesterday is the day before today, wouldn't yesteryear be... 2004?

If you grew up in a certain time frame, the items at Feeling Retro may cause a twinge of nostalgia. They've got a nice list of toys, games, food and music from the 60's and 70's. You can even share your favorite memories. Nice.

Everyone has their favorite childhood toy. For me it was the Krazy Kar.

krazykar

I had no idea they still made them anymore, but they do. You sat in the middle, and turned the handles on the sides of the wheels. You could go forwards, backwards or do 360s. Awesome.

Funny, I don't have memories of riding this outdoors, though I'm sure I did. I do vividly remember riding it in the house in my mom's upstairs sewing room. The room had plenty of open space and my sister and I would spend hours racing around up there, spinning in circles until we got falling-down dizzy or building up speed and seeing how far we could skid with the plastic wheels on the bare wood floors. The racket we made directly above our parents' heads must have been a nightmare; it's a wonder they didn't kill us.

Now that I know these are still being made, I will definitely consider getting one of these for my boys this spring.

Being an adult and way (way, WAY) over the weight limit of 70 lbs on these things, I wonder how hard it would be to build a Dad-sized version to play around with?? Hmmm...

Other toys of my (and maybe your) misspent youth can be found at TimeWarpToys.com. Similar site, but a LOT bigger listing. A little hard on the eyes compared to Feeling Retro, but what it lacks in aesthetics it makes up for in volume. Enough links to suck up a couple three hours of your day.

Technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments: