Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Seriously, what's not to love about a good old-fashioned derivational morphology joke?

Heidi's Fourth Annual Simpsons Linguistic Jokes. (via Metafilter)

Category: Compounding and lexicalization, and a side dish of slack-jawed yokel dialect features (nonstandard subject-verb agreement, what introducing object relative clause, plus the usual collection of phonological characteristics)

Homer is refereeing Lisa's little league soccer games, unfairly. Lisa's moaning and rolling on the ground after having been passed by an offensive player headed for goal.

Homer (whistle): Foul on the other girl! Lisa gets a penalty kick and every other kid has to pay her a dollar.
Brandine (standing up in bleachers): That is an outrage! Your daughter's been flopping all day!
Homer: She has not! Your daughter's a dirty player.
Cletus (also standing): Sir, I have sired a dumdum, a mushhead, a whatsit, a dogboy, and something with a human face and fish body what we calls Kevin. But my younguns is not dirty players!
Homer: I don't need a soccer lecture from a hillbilly!
Cletus: That's hill-William to you, sir!

Third Annual (2007)
Second Annual (2006)
First Annual (2005)

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what the joke is. Maybe it's because I'm not in college yet.

captnkurt said...

@ craig xor

Well, you've got to consider that it probably doesn't take much to amuse a linguist. Sitting around overanalyzing Simpsons episodes is pretty much the highlight of their day, I'm guessing.

Anonymous said...

Okay. I guess they just see something in it that I don't.