Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Radio, Radio


I volunteer my time to do a radio show on our local independent community station, WYCE 88.1 FM. It's a great little non-commercial station with an eclectic format. The tagline is "Folk, Blues, Jazz, Rock and Worldbeat. All in one place." Since it's non-commercial, (we get almost all of our funding from the two listener fund drives we hold every year.


Here is a list of some of the music that's newly arrived into the station, so you might get a general idea of what we sound like.


Anyway, I do a little 3-hour music show once a week, along with 50 or so other programmers. (We prefer the term "programmers" to "DJs" or "jocks". We really do try and put thought into each music choice we make, as opposed to just mindlessly spinning the Top 40/20/10 Massive Music Hits.) I go by the name Capt'n Kurt, and I play radio Saturdays 3-6 pm EST. Give a listen sometime, even if it's not during my show! (You will need a free RealOne Player to hear it.)


Once a year I do this thing I call "Capt'n Kurt's Big Cover-Up Show". This is where I play an entire show (about 40 or so tunes) of cover songs, and this year it'll be on Saturday 4/12 from 3-6 pm EST. It's a lot of fun! I used to play a lot of goofy/funny stuff like Dread Zeppelin, or William Shatner doing "Mr. Tambourine Man" (must be heard to be believed). But lately I've gotten away from the novelty stuff. You might be surprised at the amount of cover songs there are out there! For example, Tori Amos does a version of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Bluesman Harry Manx does a jazzy rendition of The Doobie Brothers "Takin' It To The Streets".


Got something you'd want to hear? Give a call to (616)742-WYCE.

No comments: