Monday, June 12, 2006

Monday Music Quiz



Can you tell the work of Mozart from his contemporary and (some contend) his arch-rival, the royal composer Antonio Salieri? Take the quiz. As for me, I might as well have flipped a coin, getting a bleh 60%, just one better than half of them right. Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all.

Speaking of the Mozart vs. Salieri myth as portrayed in the 1984 film Amadeus, you should know that most scholars apparently discount the whole "Salieri killed Mozart because he was jealous of his talent" theory that was so predominant in Amadeus, as well as a number of other nuggets that people took from the movie as fact, but probably weren't. I still think it's a wonderful film, capable of sparking interest in what most people now consider to be stuffy and boring and of no interest or relevance to them. It just shouldn't be taken as an authorized biography of the man.

Here's a nice breakdown of some of the myths purported in the film.

Technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: