Friday, December 22, 2006

(I.N.M.F.B.) Information Nation Means Fine Blogging

You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner #%$*ing year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." - John Bender, The Breakfast Club


A Flickr photoset of vintage cigarette ads




There are so many dangers to smoking... and Tom Mullica ignores them all.

I don't know where he learned to smoke like that, but I bet he started when he was young. Probably picked up the habit from watching cartoons.


Test your tobacco marketing acumen by taking this Cigarette Advertising Slogan Quiz. I got just 10 out of 20.

Another list of cigarette slogans.

While we're on the subject of coffin-nail ads, I recall a certain print ad campaign Benson & Hedges used to run to promote their B&H 100s line back in the 70s. The come-on was a sweepstakes with 100 winners and 100 prizes. There were little cartoon illustrations of the 100 prize choices, all of them tied into the number 100 somehow, some good and some obviously jokes. I see one is 100 rolls of film, 100 feet of $1 bills ($200), 100 rolls of dimes ($500), one of them is a kayak, one is a car. I'm not sure how they tied those in to the number 100 due to the poor image quality. I've been looking for an hour for a clearer scan of the ad but apparently my Google-fu is not strong enough.


Technorati tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

Mel said...

The 100 gimmick for the car is for a 100 ft. Pontiac, or whatever kind it is. I actually own this ad, and I LOVE it - I even loved it as a kid.

Anonymous said...

I used to love this ad too. Here's a better image:
http://books.google.com/books?id=7egCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=benson+%26+hedges+sweepstakes&source=bl&ots=R3Nr_rI8Ke&sig=0cSEbluc-L0izEXK92ldEs4cqJE&hl=en&ei=5c_iTKbRCZO-sAOpyORm&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=benson%20%26%20hedges%20sweepstakes&f=false