Thursday, December 06, 2007

Better Dead Than Red



Guy Fleegman: I changed my mind. I wanna go back.
Sir Alexander Dane: After the fuss you made about getting left behind?
Guy Fleegman: Yeah, but that's when I thought I was the crewman that stays on the ship, and something is up there, and it kills me. But now I'm thinking I'm the guy who gets killed by some monster five minutes after we land on the planet.
Jason Nesmith: You're not gonna die on the planet, Guy.
Guy Fleegman: I'm not? Then what's my last name?
Jason Nesmith: It's, uh, uh - -I don't know.
Guy Fleegman: Nobody knows. Do you know why? Because my character isn't important enough for a last name, because I'm gonna die five minutes in.
Gwen DeMarco: Guy, you have a last name.
Guy Fleegman: DO I? DO I? For all you know, I'm "Crewman Number Six"! Mommy... mommy...
Sir Alexander Dane: Are we there yet?

- Guy (Fleegman), the "Red Shirt" character on Galaxy Quest, realizing his true purpose

Star Trek's generic, nameless, interchangeable red-shirted security officers were usually the first to buy it when the landing team beamed down to some hostile new planet, as it wouldn't make much business sense for the producers to kill off the stars of the show. Wikipedia explains it all. (via The Presurfer)



What goes on in the mind of one of those unfortunate crimson-clad dead men walking? Maybe something along the lines of this: Redshirt Blues



Got the Thinkgeek catalog in the mail the other day, and Mrs. Captnkurt and I cracked up when we saw this: Oh this is so under the Christmas tree this year!


Technorati tags: ,

No comments: