Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Merry Bummer!

Back in my predigital days, circa 1989, I used to have a Rhino Records compilation on cassette called Bummed Out Christmas, which was a compact little 12-song collection of anti-cheer. A lot of emphasis on booze ("Santa Came Home Drunk", "Santa Got A DWI"), and incarceration ("Christmas In Jail", "Christmas In Prison"). But it wasn't all like that... Dan Hicks has the peppy jive of "Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit", The Staple Singers throw some funky-soul into things with "Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas?", and The Sonics are full of good sneer on "Don't Believe In Christmas".

The tape is long gone, but I'm considering picking one up online. Here are a few tracks I found on The Tube de la You. Merry Bummer!


Sherwood Linton - Santa Got a DWI



Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit - The Christmas Jug Band (feat. Dan Hicks)



The Sonics - Don't Believe In Christmas



The Youngsters - Christmas In Jail

No comments: