Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Russian Coverup

I've always been a fan of cover songs, though I am at a bit of a loss to express why, to be honest. I guess I just like to hear someone take something familiar and send it in a new direction to see where it will go.

I've recently discovered a podcast called Coverville, which nicely fulfills my junkie-like need for new and interesting cover songs. I even had a request I submitted put into a recent Coverville podcast (#479, download it here!).

The song was a cover of ZZ Top's "La Grange" performed by the majorly obscure band Crazy Backwards Alphabet on their 1987 self-titled album. For some reason it was sung in Russian. Or perhaps more likely, fake Russian. I don't know for sure. I don't speak Russian. It was titled "Sarayushka".

The album cover art was illustrated by a pre-Simpsons Matt Groening, who at that time was enjoying success drawing odd little bunnies in his hilarious Life In Hell comic strip.





On a related note, Janet a/k/a bhfire recently sent me a link to a kickass video of The Leningrad Cowboys. The Cowboys are a Finnish rock band famous for its humorous songs, ludicrous hairstyles and concerts featuring the Soviet Red Army Choir.

Currently, the band has eleven Cowboys and two Leningrad Ladies. The songs, all somewhat influenced by polka and progressive rock, are performed in English and have themes such as vodka, tractors, rockets, and Genghis Khan, as well as folkloric Russian songs, rock and roll ballads and covers from bands as diverse as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, all presented with lots of humor.

The Tube of You hosts a plethora of their live songs, so get in there and watch a couple, why dontcha? Here are but a few.

The Leningrad Cowboys - Happy Together

The Leningrad Cowboys - Sweet Home Alabama
The Leningrad Cowboys - Gimme All Your Lovin'
The Leningrad Cowboys - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
The Leningrad Cowboys - Pretty Fly For A White Guy
The Leningrad Cowboys - Smoke On The Water

Technorati tags: , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does your menu speak to Fresh Bloggity Goodness?

captnkurt said...

If one of those blogs has been updated in the past, I think it's 8 or 12 hours (or something), then that appears.

Marko said...

LOL. The band is actually called Leningrad Cowboys, not Stalingrad. Totally different city. It's just as funny to say Led Hindenburg or Lynyrd Sky Nerd.

Check out the movies too. They are surreal!

More facts instead of fiction...
http://www.leningradcowboys.fi/

captnkurt said...

Ha... you are of course correct, matauppa. Leningrad Cowboys. For some reason I have Stalingrad in some of the links and Leningrad in others, do you see?

If I recall, I was copying pasting a lot of info from YouTube in this post, so perhaps the name is incorrect there and I just brought it back across that way. (I can't check right now, as YT is blocked here at work).

Or I could just be an idiot. There's always that option!

Anyway, I will try to remember to correct all the Lenin/Stalingrad errors when I get home.

Thanks!